Mannpower Mode is Out of Beta!
October 28, 2015 - TF2 Team
Mannpower Mode is out of beta! Thank you so much to the TF2 community for all of your great feedback since we first launched the beta late last year. We think the mode is a lot more fast-paced and fun, and can't wait to hear what you think of the improvements. We're also shipping a map specifically designed for Mannpower called Hellfire as part of our Scream Fortress Update. So fire up the game, have some fun grappling around, and let us know what you think!
Below, please find a beginner's guide to everything you need to know about this mode.
Welcome to Mannpower Mode
Mannpower is a CTF-like game mode with powerups scattered throughout the map. When picked up, the powerups give you different abilities that you can use to help capture enemy flags. You can also use the grappling hook to fly through the air and get to places that feet alone can’t take you.
Mannpower's flag rules differ slightly from regular CTF:
- When dropped, flags will return after a period of time. This time does not reset if the flag is picked up again.
- Flag carriers get a small amount of health regeneration.
- Powered-up flag carriers do not get this benefit, and also suffer a grappling hook movement speed penalty.
- Pick up powerups for various abilities. You own a powerup until you either drop it, die, or enter a respawn room.
- You can only have one powerup at a time.
- You can drop a powerup by pressing the “drop the briefcase” key (default is L). (First use will drop powerup, second use will drop briefcase.)
- Powerups spawn throughout the level.
- If you die while carrying a powerup, it will appear in the enemy team’s color. You cannot pick up an enemy colored powerup.
Grappling Hook Rules
- Use the hook either by switching to slot 6 in your inventory, or by pressing and holding the “Use Item in Action Slot” key (default is H).
- Fire and hold to shoot out the grapple wire. Upon contact with a viable surface, the grapple will reel you in.
- To release the grapple, let go of the key and/or press your jump key to add some height to your dismount.
- You can grapple into enemy players. When grappling into an enemy, let go of the grapple key and you will still pull into them. To detach, grapple again away from your target.
- Strength: 2x damage, no distance damage reduction
- Haste: increased firing rate, reload rate, clip size, max ammo, movement speed, medigun healing and ubercharge meter rate
- Resistance: 50% damage reduction from all sources, immune to plague transmission
- Regeneration: Health, ammo and metal all regenerate
- Vampire: damage dealt returned as health, increased max health, 25% damage resistance
- Reflect: 50% of damage received reflected to dealer, 100% if it’s a sentry. Increased max health, 25% damage resistance
- Precision: reduced bullet spread, no distance damage falloff, increased projectile speed, increased clip size on blast weapons
- Agility: Increased movement speed, jump height and grapple speed, no fall damage, fast weapon switch, no movement penalty while carrying the flag
- Knockout: increased melee damage, increased max health, melee hit forces victim to drop powerup, then flag; 4x melee damage against buildings; airblast and damage pushback immunity; restricts carrier to melee and hook only
- King: Increased max health, small health regeneration, small fire and reload rate increase. Attributes shared with nearby teammates.
- Plague: Radius health kit collection, touching an enemy gives them and their nearby team mates the plague. Plague victims bleed to death in 10 seconds unless they pick up a health kit or touch a resupply cabinet. Plague blocks King’s health regeneration and team buff.
- Supernova: Discharge your supernova attack (grapple secondary fire) to briefly stun nearby visible enemies. Requires full Powerup meter. Powerup meter fills over time, or by dealing damage. Stunned enemies drop their powerups, and are pushed away from the supernova attacker. Once discharged, the Supernova powerup disappears and respawns. When the powerup meter is full, enemies will glow when in range
The TF Workshop Arkham Knight Contest
October 28, 2015 - TF2 Team
This year's Workshop Contest is underway, and this time around we've got a doozy of an IP for the talented folks in the TF2 community to sink your teeth into: The dark knight himself. The caped crusader. America's favorite cave-dwelling orphan. And, as of today on Steam, the star of the conclusion to Rocksteady's epic Arkham Knight trilogy.
This is not a drill, you guys. This year we got Batman.
Here's how the contest works:
- Submit your Batman Arkham video game-themed item or taunt (no weapons, please) to the Team Fortress 2 Workshop. There's no limit on the number of entries you can submit. However, each submission is limited to a maximum of two contributors. Contest entries must be submitted through the Team Fortress Item Import Tool and tagged with "Batman".
- Entries are open from 10:00 AM Pacific Daylight Savings Time on October 28, 2015, to 10:00 AM Pacific Standard Time on November 16, 2015 . (Entries must comply with the Steam Subscriber Agreement, Workshop Supplemental Terms and Team Fortress 2 Workshop guidelines. You can also read the complete Arkham Knight contest guidelines here.)
- When the contest ends on November 16th, we'll select up to three winning entries, which will be given out to all people who purchased the game up to that point. And remember, normal Workshop terms apply, so outstanding entries may show up in the TF2 store later on.
In addition to being featured as the Genuine-quality items awarded for Arkham Knight Steam purchase, the contributors who submitted the winning entries will (subject to the contest terms above) get a free copy of the following Warner Bros games on Steam:
- Batman: Arkham Knight
- Batman: Arkham City – Game of the Year Edition
- Batman: Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Edition
- Batman: Arkham Origins
- Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate Deluxe
- Mad Max
- Lego Worlds
- Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition
- F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin
- F.E.A.R. 3
- The LEGO Movie – Videogame
- Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure
- LEGO Batman
- Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition
- Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Watchmen: The End is Nigh
- Watchmen: The End is Nigh Part 2
- Scooby Doo! & Looney Tunes Cartoon Universe: Adventure
- Hot Wheels World’s Best Driver
This contest runs through November 16th, and we'll announce the winners a few days after that. Whether you're an experienced Workshop contributor or a big Batman fan thinking about getting their feet wet for the first time, this is a great opportunity to try your luck. If you aren't interested in submitting content of your own, we're still counting on you to head over to the Workshop and vote on the entries that you want to see in the game. Good luck!
Get Ready For The Invasion
October 6, 2015 - TF2 Team
The TF2 team is proud to announce Invasion, a wholly community-created update featuring an animated short, 16 new cosmetic items, reskinned weapons with cool death effects, a taunt, four maps, Unusual particle effects, and even an update landing page. It represents a boatload of work from some incredibly talented members of the TF2 community. Buy your Invasion Community Update Pass today!
What We're Up To
September 21, 2015 - TF2 Team
First off, a reminder that the Gun Mettle campaign is ending (the last new contracts drop September 30th), so if you want to complete those contracts you'd better get to work. Speaking of getting to work, the TF2 team is busy putting together the next major update, which should be out by the end of the year. It'll feature new maps, cosmetics, and a new campaign with contracts and weapon collections. We’re also working on things like competitive matchmaking, perf, balance improvements and moving Mannpower Mode out of beta with a new map.
Sharp-eyed readers may have noticed that there’s something missing from that list: Halloween. The reality is, if we produce a holiday-specific event map this year, it means we'll have to stop working on everything else. So: We’ve decided to turn Halloween mostly over to you. This year’s Halloween Update will be a showcase of all the best Halloween-themed community content (items, maps, taunts and unusuals) you guys can come up with. We’ll also be activating every one of our past six Halloween Updates, so there'll still be plenty of spooky holiday-themed game modes to play.
Over the next month we’ll be looking through the Workshop for anything tagged “Halloween”, so if you’ve been working on an item you think would be perfect, make sure you get it submitted and tagged before October 18th, 2015.
Plus, if you didn’t already have enough incentive to submit to the Workshop, we’re changing our restrictions on Halloween items this year. Normally they’re only visible to players on Halloween and full moons. This year, all newly selected Halloween-themed items will have NO restrictions put on them, and may be viewed year round. (So don't get too gross or out-there with your submissions.)
Well, back to work! We’ve been incorporating plenty of great community feedback from our last update, so the next one should be even better.
Issue #5 of Team Fortress Comics!
August 31, 2015 - TF2 Team
Issue #5 is live! Man, it feels like just yesterday since Issue #4 came out. How long's it been since we released that, anyway? Let's see... one month, two... hm. three... four... wow, five...
Actually, let's not focus on how long it's been. The important thing is Issue #5's out! The last two should be coming out a little quicker.